Published: 04 August 2020
For full information on Coronavirus please see the links below:
- How to Help Safely https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-how-to-help-safely--2/coronavirus-how-to-help-safely
Main contact centre telephone number 01443 425001 Coronavirus helpline 01443 425020
Emergency Out of Hours Service 01443 425011 Emergency Out of Hours Adult & Children's Social Services 01443 743665
During the Coronavirus outbreak advice from our local PCSO is to follow the government guidelines, to stay at home and protect lives. The Police are conducting high visibility patrols in our area to ensure that these guidelines are being followed. They are pleased to report that the majority are complying.
If any residents have any issues to report please report these to 101 (non emergency) and 999.
Community Support and Advice
- Interlink http://www.interlinkrct.org.uk/
- Age Cymru - Check in and Chat https://www.ageuk.org.uk/cymru/information-advice/age-cymru-advice/check-in-and-chat/
- Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) - For information, advice and guidance on all things sight loss related over the phone. They are also offering telephone support groups and other phone based services to anyone affected by sight loss. Please contact Chris Reddington, Eye Clinic Liaison Officer, Rhondda Cynon Taf/Merthyr Tydfil, 07702961775
- Advice on COVID-19 scams Citizens Advice https://www.nationaltradingstandards.uk/news/beware-of-covid19-scams/
- Citizens Advice RCT - Advice and help on paying your bills during the COVID-19 outbreak ring 01443 409294 or website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/debt-and-money/if-you-cant-pay-your-bills-because-of-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR0snFIE9q0o-UiI5FmtrMmJRH_EEticgkL283mMe5SkthVAV7dGWoz8vic
- NHS Every Mind Matters Coronavirus and Mental Wellbeing https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/
- Interlink - Community Safety Information essential phone numbers for victims of domestic abuse, guidance on outlining how victims can use the silent 999 process and scam awareness http://www.interlinkrct.org.uk/2020/04/covid-19-community-safety-information-essential-phone-numbers-for-victims-of-domestic-abuse-guidance-on-outlining-how-victims-can-use-the-silent-999-process-and-scam-awareness/
- Public Health Wales Staying Well at Home:How are you doing? https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/latest-information-on-novel-coronavirus-covid-19/staying-well-at-home/
- CISWO Personal Welfare Service continues during COVID 19 outbreak During this difficult period, CISWO is continuing to provide their personal welfare service and are accepting referrals from individuals themselves, family members and other agencies. The majority of our services can be delivered remotely and they are working hard to provide support by telephone, email, and post. Their free and confidential service includes: Assistance with welfare benefit applications and industry related compensation schemes, Advice on mining related issues including illness and disability, Help to access mobility equipment including walking aids and wheelchairs, Support to reduce loneliness and social isolation, Advocacy to enable you to express your views and concerns, and defend and promote your rights, including access to information and services, Emotional support including loss and bereavement, illness and caring responsibilities, Financial assistance at times of exceptional hardship through CISWO grants or assistance through other agencies and charities, Access to holidays and convalescence, Access to CISWO educational grants for former mine workers and their dependants. Our support is available to former mine workers, partners, widows and any dependent children or adult dependants with a disability. They have also extended their services to those in our client group most in need, particularly those who are self-isolating and have limited local support and can provide access to essential shopping and prescription collection in some areas. Please contact your local office if you think they can help: Wales Woodland Terrace, Maesycoed, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, CF37 1DZ. 01443 485 233 Wales@ciswo.org.uk
- Red Cross Help and Helpline https://www.redcross.org.uk/get-help/coronavirus
- Samaritens https://www.samaritans.org/wales/how-we-can-help/if-youre-having-difficult-time/if-youre-worried-about-your-mental-health-during-coronavirus-outbreak/
- Hirwaun Health Centre If patients need to see a GP there will be a triage system in place where a GP will assess the situation over the phone and decide if medication is required. Please ring at 8am and 1pm as normal. If the matter is urgent an appointment will be made to go into the surgery. They will not be booking any further nurse appointments for routine blood tests, diabetes reviews, COPD reviews, asthma reviews, smears, spirometry, routine injections etc. If patients have chronic disease appointments booked, the nurse will try to complete as much of this review over the phone at the allotted time of the the appointment previously given. Essential services will continue. These include INR clinics, blood tests for Shared Care Drug Monitoring and acutely unwell patients, baby immunisation clinics, Depo Provera injections and urgent ECG's. There may be a different door that will be used, this will be documented on the front door of the surgery if not in use. For routine appointments such as blood pressure reviews, routine blood tests etc, these will be postponed until further notice. Your supply of medication will continue uninterrupted at this time, but they ask you to ring to speak to them regarding repeat prescriptions instead of entering the surgery. Prescription requests will be taken over the phone during this time. This is a busy time and their priority is to keep all patients safe and well. Please co-operate with them to achieve this. Only ring for advice if absolutely necessary and please be patient with their staff who are trying to help. Telephone number 01685 811999
- Well Pharmacy at Hirwaun Health Centre At present, their opening times are 9.30am-12pm and 2pm-5.30pm. If you are picking up your repeat prescription go straight to the pharmacy. If you have requested a prescription that you don't usually have on repeat, please go to the surgery first to pick this up. There is a limit on 2 people at a time entering the pharmacy. Telephone number 01685 814646
- Well Pharmacy, High Street At present, their opening times are 10am-12pm and 2pm-4.30pm. They have a policy of 1 person in, 1 person out and ask that if you are unwell to stay at home. They ask that you only ring if it is urgent, for example if you have less than 3 days of medication left. Telephone number 01685811412
- Denise Adams Dental Surgery - Hirwaun -Telephone number 01685 813989 - We have been advised that this surgery is closed for appointments. If you have a dental emergency please ring the number above where you will receive a recorded message directing you where to go.
- NHS Coronavirus Symptom Checker - NHS asks people to share their Coronavirus symptoms to help others. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-asks-people-to-share-their-coronavirus-symptoms-to-help-others?utm_source=af08c443-3347-4209-83a4-4c33b262014f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily&fbclid=IwAR1YlSyfmDXvU2Xfe8Nl6RDd_zXrVyN2mPIPhUJyVHfBFpg5b9hrOauC5iM
Food Stores, Takeaways and Deliveries
Animal Feed Stores
Other Essential Services
- Hirwaun Post Office Currently operating as normal - Telephone number 01685 813718
- John's Garage (Petrol station) Now closed.
- Foodbank at Ramoth Christian Centre The Foodbank is closed but the Pastor is delivering bags of food to those in need. He can be contacted on 016858 812719.
- Wales & West Utilities Priority Services Register https://wwutilities.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3X7R08MOm0xcSzdQwJNtwtZW7QHxiVUS1Kz7K-0LWhksmMA0Ml5r7oya0
- Recycling Centres Update on service provision during Covid-19 restrictions. Some Recycling Centres are due to be re-opened from May 22nd. Bryn Pica will operate from 9am to 7pm, for 7 days per week.Restrictions will be in place and advertised on site. This will be for residents and not business at the moment. Normal kerbside recycling should not be taken and should be left at the kerbside on designated collection days as usual. There will be a check on residency to avoid use by those who live outside Rhondda Cynon Taf. There will be a limit to five cars on site and 10 minute slots to carry out your recycling. This is because there will potentially be long queues to keep to the rules.
- Hirwaun Garden Society shop Ring Jan Wroblewski on 07967 949146
- Union Learn https://www.unionlearn.org.uk/learning-home-your-children
- Free online educational resources https://www.popsugar.co.uk/parenting/free-online-educational-resources-for-kids-47312329
- British Hen Welfare Trust home education https://www.bhwt.org.uk/education-programme/education-during-covid-19/
- Wales Biodiversity Partnership https://www.bioamrywiaethcymru.org.uk/Wales-Nature-Week?fbclid=IwAR353amgatdCjT2P9XtJpmWBevdMB43IWU-lpm7p9BjSWBBksk-pAWG_3_M
- Woodland Trust https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/03/kids-nature-activities-self-isolation/?fbclid=IwAR0nrV1-pZyXJBmX8YoogZp7BcD1VLeb2BQi7oFRqIYs-J8rnfZ5m1uBxsM
- Live webcams from Zoos around the world https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/countryside/g31784857/live-animal-webcam-zoo/?fbclid=IwAR0sxil1NZzj2nkU9_LXtqDcZUxp9d8ittJE5wH7ByGshVdmOZG1pUHLT10
- Live webcams from African wildlife reserves https://explore.org/livecams/african-wildlife/african-animal-lookout-camera?fbclid=IwAR0Yjn2wyFv2BiMCDwncMUMaHOoYq7I6S30E74UNrxSTup8TxR2cSCtQk6M
- RCT online library https://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/EN/Resident/Libraries/Ebooksandonlineresources.aspx
- An apparently infinite number and range of games are available to download, either to your computer or mobile device. Here is a selection of some that are “almost addictive”:Spider Solitaire (by Branium), Word Chums (a scrabble game, by People Fun), Wordscapes, Word Search Epic, Sudoku (by Branium), Mahjong Solitaire Epic (by Kristanix), Sudoku (by Branium), These are available from the Playstore, Appstore etc. for your mobile device (cell phone, tablet etc.), or by searching for the game in your computer’s app store or via Google. Install, open and enjoy 😊.
- Royal Voluntary Service Virtual Village Hall - online activities and classes https://www.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/virtual-village-hall/
- Health and Wellbeing sessions to connect to nature https://www.coedlleol.org.uk/heart-mind-body-support/